Tuesday 9 December 2008

Mundane, whimsical anarchy

I heard the news today that Oliver Postgate died - he's the creator of Noggin the Nod, Ivor the Engine, Bagpuss and the Clangers. (For those who don't know, they're all children's television shows, popular in the UK before the presence of multi-channel mind-numbing inanity.)

My favourites were the Clangers - funny pink creatures that lived on the moon and spoke in whistles. Or so I thought, until I discovered that the whistles were used to represent English words. Postgate got into a bit of trouble with the (then) uptight BBC for the clip below. Now I don't usually think that swearing is big or clever, but I do like this clip for it's realism and Postgate's subversive streak in including it on a children's programme for Auntie Beeb.

They certainly don't make them like they used to!!
(And yes, there is more than a little irony in Jonathan Ross' presence on that episode of QI!!)

No comments: