Wednesday 4 March 2009

No line on the horizon

I downloaded U2's new album last night and was listening to it in the gym today. I was stopped in my tracks by some of the lyrics to "Stand Up Comedy", especially these lines:

I can stand up for hope, faith, love
But while I´m getting over certainty
Stop helping God across the road like a little old lady

Out from under your beds
C´mon ye people
Stand up for your love...

God is love
And love is evolution's very best day

I'm not at all clear what the band intended by these words, and for myself I need to ponder further. But my initial reaction is to ask is this a picture of what the church has become/ what I've become?

Helping God across the road... hiding under the bed... rather than standing up for love?

And I think that the lines about evolution are the best thing that I've heard or read amidst the flurry of Darwin related stuff.

1 comment:

Kayce aka lucy said...

i think my favorite line is "getting over certainty." it seems that the more i open up and discover about god, the less i seem to know, but the happier and more love-filled i become. hmmmm. go figure?