Sunday 1 July 2007

Do you want mustard with that?

A great many people think that they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.”
William James

Today I was looking back at a sermon that I delivered in 2000, because I am preparing a Bible study for our youth Nurture Group on the same passage. The sermon doesn’t seem too bad to me. Nowadays I might have been a bit more challenging about our cosy attitudes and tendency towards ‘nimby-ism’ (in thought and deed).

What did bother me was the frighteningly dull order of service that I had prepared for that Sunday morning. The only radical departure from our bog standard service was to have two readings from the Bible – one before the kids left for Sunday School, my act of rebellion! Trouble is, 7 years on our services are the same. Aye, I know that we project the words of the songs rather than using books. And I have to acknowledge that our pastor has started to use Powerpoint during his sermons in the past few weeks (honestly – we are at the cutting edge now!). This blog isn’t the place to slag - I mean comment – on the quality of preaching, but can this stultifying “hymn sandwich” approach really be the way forward?

To adapt Timothy Leary, it’s a bit like: Turn up, switch off, drop off

And yet, through this gloom, there are signs that God cannot or will not be limited by our ineptitude.


"One act of obedience is better than one hundred sermons."
Dietrich Bonhoeffer


So what about the mustard reference? "Hymn sandwich"of course! ;-)

No comments: