Friday 29 June 2007

The automobile university


“The well-educated person of today is adequately prepared for a future that no longer exists. It’s only those who keep learning that will be able to survive and thrive in the changing world of today.”
Zig Zigler


I heard this while driving to a work meeting yesterday. Zigler went on to talk about the automobile university. This got me thinking – how do we fill the time when we’re travelling, especially during the daily commute to and from work. I spend about two hours a day doing this. The journey rarely feels like a chore. Living in Perthshire, Scotland the fantastic, ever-changing scenery can be very stimulating.

Over the years I’ve used the journey to over-indulge in radio news, listen to music, brush up on my French. Of late, I’ve been captivated by podcasts – sermons, theological discussion, management stuff.

I’ve been astonished by the volume and range of material that’s available, and have had to learn to be very selective! The trouble nowadays is remembering to tune into the news occasionally.

What’s the point of all of this? (Does there have to be one?) As well as my recurring theme of relentless learning, the point is that in an information rich age, we need to learn to be discerning, to sift the dross and to spend time digesting and reflecting on the good stuff.

As Paul said:


Be transformed by the renewing of your mind.
Romans 12:2

No comments: