Friday 12 February 2010

The 45-minute hour

One of the ways that I try to manage my energy and concentration is to adopt the 45-minute hour.  What do I mean?

Well, I've discovered that my concentration span is no more than 45 minutes these days.


So when I'm working in my office at work or at home, I plan to work for 45 minutes on any one task, then take a break.


During the break I can make a cup of coffee or stretch a bit, or go and talk to someone else in the building.  I also take a minute or so before I start again to re-focus and pray.


I've even found that it helps to set a reminder to alert me when the 45 minutes is up.  As this rhythm is developing I find that I'm also scheduling meetings for 45 minutes, or having a break in longer meetings after 45 minutes.


It feels more productive and I've got more energy.  


Do you have any tips for using time wisely?  I'd love to hear them.

No comments: