Saturday 20 February 2010

Booksneeze review: The Noticer by Andy Andrews

I review for BookSneeze
The Noticer by Andy Andrews has been on my Amazon wishlist for quite a while now, after reading several bloggers who loved it. So when I joined Booksneeze and saw that it was available, I jumped at the chance. (I received the book as a complimetary copy from the publisher - Thomas Nelson.)  This became my bedtime book for a few nights.


The story revolves around the mysterious character known as 'Jones' (or Garcia or Chen - depending on your ethnic origins), who notices things about people; offers them helpful advice about looking at things from a different perspective; and thereby fixing the things that are in their lives.
I notice things about situations and people that produce perspective. That's what most folks lack - perspective - a broader view. So I give them that broader view... and it allows them to regroup, take a breath, and begin their lives again.
Essentially, each chapter follows this pattern and, after a short time, I found this to be predictable to the point of irritation. The advice seemed to be twee, the universal engagement with a stranger dispensing often intrusive advice completely bizarre, and ultimately, this was not an enjoyable read.


I don't like positive such a negative review, especially as my first one for Booksneeze, but honesty requires it.


I should also acknowledge that I rarely read works of fiction. So, maybe, there is one piece of Jones' advice that I will follow.
Other people's experience is the best teacher. By reading about the lives of great people, you can unlock the secrets to what made them great.
I think that I'll stick with biographies at bedtime - at least for a while.

No comments: