Monday 1 October 2007

Cumulative effect

Over the next couple of posts I'm going to draw on some quotations from Derek Wilson's Out of the Storm (see previous post). Lazy blogging? Probably, but I'm going to do it anyway!

"Dramatic sights stick in the mind while the daily routines of early life become blurred in recollection but it is the latter that, cumulatively, have the greater formative effect."

So how does this apply to our Christian experience? Many, particularly in evangelical churches, place a strong emphasis on the 'dramatic moment of conversion' - I don't, because I don't have such an event.

For me the greater signficance is the ongoing formation of character, as we seek to become authentic Christ followers.

There are scary thoughts here:
  • What are we doing to support and nurture people exploring Christianity?
  • What are we doing to keep on developing ourselves?

(Please note - I didn't say that the posts would be about Luther!)

2 comments:

His Girl Friday said...

I think the ongoing development of character is the most important factor in a person's walk/life. If a person does have a significant conversion event they can draw upon that emotion, share that event with others, but I agree it's where you go from there afterwards that counts.

nonprofitprophet said...

We have visited this topic often in my circles, and find that it often depends on what denominational background one comes from. In the states, baptist are heavy on the moment of conversation thing, while other denominations such as United Methodist seem to have the ongoing relationship and few conversion moments. It is almost immulating what you have been taught. However, I find more personal credence in the gradual process than the conversion moment, as I have seen that method abused too often.