Thursday 6 December 2007

Black holes and pulsars


This is the title of one of the chapters in David Adam's 'Mirror Images' - probably my favourite chapter. It also lets me use one of the fantastic images from the Hubble website!

For the non-physicists (including me) black holes absorb energy, pulsars are stars that emit light. (If I've got any of this wrong let me know.)

"‘There is enough ‘gravitas’ in the Church without me adding to it. We need a bit more levity and the ability to laugh. If we cannot laugh at what we are doing then life has become serious indeed. Christians that are miserable about the world or life do our faith and our God a great injustice."

Challenging? It certainly seems to me that I/we take ourselves far too seriously most of the time. So what are we going to do about it?

Well, David Adam has a couple of suggestions:

"We need to make God at home in our homes and to let God be at work in our work. God is not concerned only with religion but with all of life."

"Promise to make room in your life for God. Accept his invitation to come into his presence. Write it in your diary. Make space each day to rejoice in his presence and to relax into the light, the love and peace of God."

I have a suggestion of my own - read his book, it's really worth it!

Final word from David Adam (for a wee while):

"Does your life mirror the love and the light of God?"




No comments: