Sunday 30 December 2007

Competence, confidence and comfort zones - the sequel

A week ago – almost exactly at this time – I was just sitting down after the drama/sketch thing that I was involved in as part of the Bethlehem experience.

Two thoughts have occurred and recurred since then.

Firstly, all of us have talents that can be put to use – if we’re willing. Now, I’m not saying that I’m going to rush headlong into an acting career or anything. However, I do wonder if we are conscious of under-used (or unused) talents that we have. I also wonder if we are willing to discover new talents, and then put them to use. Maybe the New Year period is an appropriate time to reflect on our gifts, and see if there are any that could be gainfully employed.

Secondly, I have been truly astonished by the encouraging feedback that I have received from people. The ministry of encouragement is one that we can all be involved in. It doesn’t cost much to tell someone that we enjoyed/ benefited/ were moved or uplifted by something that they have done, but it will mean a lot to them. On reflection, I’m often guilty of assuming that people will know how well they’ve done, and have shied away from providing feedback. Time to change I think. Positive feedback should be used lavishly; negative feedback sparingly and constructively.

I don’t do ‘New Year resolutions’, but maybe this year I’ll make an exception and resolve to be more encouraging and appreciative of the efforts of others.

No comments: