Friday 14 September 2007

Good news of great joy


Anyone who has read this blog recently will have noticed that I’ve been acting as cheerleader (without pom-poms!) for The memory of place installation in St Mary’s Church in York.

The York Museum Trust usually have an installation per year in this de-commissioned church. However, this year The memory of place will close in October this year… and re-open in May 2008. This is due to the positive reaction to the piece.

If you are anywhere near York you really should go and see it. No, go and experience it. It is fantastic.

In my enthusiasm for others to go, I’m reminded of Bill Bryson’s reaction to arriving in Durham in Notes from a Small Island:

"I got off at Durham... and fell in love with it instantly in a serious way. Why, it's wonderful - a perfect little city.... If you have never been to Durham, go there at once. Take my car. It's wonderful."

Go, go now … just don’t ask to borrow my car!!

No comments: