Wednesday 5 September 2007

Out of the mouths of fishwives

Driving down to visit my parents the other weekend, the fishwife turned to me and said something like: "You're really passionate about this, aren't you?' Maybe not too surprising until you're told that I was blethering about the public sector in Scotland - I'm not sure how many people would admit a passion for this. But I will!


In recent times I've realised that I'm more passionate about lots of things than I realised. You know, the kind of passion that displays itself as a burning desire for change/ improvement/ fulfilment ... And the more I reflect on my hobby horses, the more impassioned I become.
That's why I keep asking questions, looking for answers, needing to know the vision... and generally making a nuisance of myself.

I will keep going, and over the next few days I'm going to be developing some of the thoughts about church that are occupying me. (Reading this again, it sounds a bit like a statement of defiance - it's meant to be a statement of commitment!)

Just to get it started, I'm thinking that our church (and all churches?) should be a "church in the community, with a community in the church".

"You can be creative inside or outside of tradition. Outside of tradition, you create a new world. Inside of creation, you create a new way to do the old things much better."
Wynton Marsalis

Is it too greedy to want both?



No comments: