Saturday 1 September 2007

Invent the future

I became aware yesterday from another blog (The Road Less Traveled) that today is the start of the College football season in the United States.

For the avoidance of doubt, that’s their version of football – you know the one where they hardly ever kick the ball!

Anyway, I heard a brief report on television coming from Virginia Tech – where there was the multiple shooting tragedy in April this year. While American culture is in many ways alien to me, I do grasp (albeit tentatively) that college football has a strong hold on the psyche of many Americans. So clearly the start of the season at Virginia Tech will be very emotive.

The analyst on the television said something like “Today’s more about fellowship than cheering. This left me wondering about the healing power of communities – especially aroung social rituals.

Last week in the UK, we had the moving ‘minute of applause’ at Everton’s football (i.e. proper football aka soccer) match in memory of Rhys Jones and in support of his family and friends.

I’m reminded of Bill Shankly’s whimsical remark that:

'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'

Well, maybe it is in a way.

Final thought – the title of this post is the mission of Virginia Tech. Their motto is Ut prosim – that I may serve.

Both seem to me to be very fitting sentiments at the start of a new season (for football and life).

1 comment:

KJ said...

good morning. An interesting entry...I like you thought about the healing powers of community. Indeed this has been my experience with so many things in life and I guess even football. We love to have people over to watch games and it is more than the sport, it's fellowship. Hmmm, thanks for reminding me of community today.

And thanks for the reminder to hold the community of Viginia Tech in my prayers.

By the way, TJ made a 71 yard touchdown last night. Pretty darn exciting!