Wednesday 2 January 2008

Heart start

“A stubborn heart is a dangerous, dangerous condition.”

A while back I listened to a podcast sermon by Mike Breaux from Willow Creek. In it he highlights the fact that we will do a variety of things to keep our physical heart healthy – eat oatmeal, run on a treadmill, watch our cholesterol intake. This struck a chord at the time as I try to do all of these things. It also seems to resonate with the significant surge in gym attendance during the month of January, as various resolutions are implemented. (Things usually quieten down again by mid-February as the enthusiastic burst fades into mere good intentions.)

But Breaux asks a more pertinent question: What is the real condition of your heart? Is it soft, compassionate, teachable, gracious and grateful?

Now that is worth reflecting on at the start of the year and resolving to make any necessary changes.

1 comment:

KJ said...

Happy New Year! Thanks for your comment. Yes, I've been away for awhile. I posted an entry today; check it out. Ironically, your post today is fitting for me. I'll take some time to ponder those questions. Blessings to you and your family.