Monday 9 June 2008

The perils of interpretation

I was in Brechin for a meeting today, and after it had finished I went for a wee walk around the cathedral there. It was a beautiful day and a lovely spot.

Amongst other things, one gravestone caught my eye and attention.


If you can't read it, the inscription says:

1812
Erected by Ann Rose
in memory of her husband
George McBain
late of the Swan Inn
Brechin

My initial assumption was that George was the landlord or owner of the Swan Inn. But then I started to wonder if maybe Ann was making a posthumous point about where George had spent much of his time while he was alive!

The moral of this tale? Even simple things can be more complicated than they seem - but a little bit of research would probably clear things up.

1 comment:

His Girl Friday said...

interesting, and yes, you do have to wonder!