Friday 24 August 2007

why?... why?... why?...

I came across a phrase today that stuck in my mind. Brian Draper of LICC talked of being "stubbornly curious". I like that!

It reminded me of one of the next phases for my friends' toddler - the why? phase. Of course as parents we soon learn how to deal with that in Homer-esque fashion - sighing, pretending not to hear, then turning on the telly...

But the real reason for that phrase sticking with me is that I've been thinking about leadership over the past couple of days - and also the past couple of years as I was undertaking a post-grad diploma. I've discovered that the theme for this year's Baptist Assembly in Scotland is "The way ahead - leading followers, following leaders". I'll be posting more about this in the days ahead, but my thought for today is that one of the characteristics of leadership should be stubborn curiosity. Always asking questions - to understand why things are the way they are; to promote discussion about where next; to force people to think through the hard issues; to challenge the status quo etc, etc.

More to follow.

1 comment:

nonprofitprophet said...

Amen to that my brother. Make 'em think. quit spoon feeding them. Its their relationship with Jesus. the Church must begin to challenge people in their walk instead of frustrating them with senseless doctrine. ~npp